31 March 2012

Pjotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Marche Slave

We all know those pieces of music that we love but are slightly embarrassed about. Because really, it's too cheesy or too simple etc etc. For me, one of those pieces is Tchaikovksy's Marche Slave. It's so incredibly bombastic and in-your-face (which of course is my kind of thing) and it has the simplest but insanely-catchy melodies that will linger in your head for days. The strings are lush, as always with Tchaikovksy, and the brass is nice and loud but what really sells it for me is the percussion (esp after around 2 minutes, don't know why, the percussion really isn't that prominent). I bet that if I was the kind of person who'd get drunk (...ever) this would be my music of choice if only because it's the best thing to airdrum to.

Here, have a video of the Russian National Orchestra playing it very seriously:


No comments:

Post a Comment