21 June 2011

Thomas Adès - Tevot

Two posts about the same composer on one page might be a bit much, but I've decided that I don't really care. Because I have to talk about how much I love Thomas Adès (remember him?). Last friday I went to the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam to see him conduct three of his own works (Tevot, Polaris, Concentric Paths) and it was just so incredibly fantastic (here's my review). The concert was one of those rare and beautiful moments where I just felt so intensely grateful for having been able to be there, so grateful for being alive and being able to listen to this music. I know that there are plenty of people who think Thomas Adès is overrated, or who find his music inaccessible. I will admit that some of his music takes some getting used to (but really just some, you don't get much more accessible than Powder her Face or Three Studies after Couperin etc.), because sometimes it's so intricate and complex, but it's worth every effort to understand and love. And I will probably post a lot of his music on here, because there's sooo many amazing pieces, but today will be about Tevot.


Thomas Adès - Tevot

Tevot was written in 2007 for the Berlin Philharmonic. It's a one-movement orchestral piece scored for a massive orchestra. This is how I described it in my review: "It starts off with whispering strings playing, once again, in high registers, but these high notes are quickly compensated by the low notes many other musicians are playing. The music turns into an organic whole until the xylophones and woodwinds start playing jumpy, flea-like music, fast and on edge. The brass, percussion and strings once again take over, and lead the orchestra to the sweeping, loud and incredibly exhilarating middle part of the piece. Tevot ends with a loud, proud, major chord". Perhaps not the most eloquent description, but I think it rings true. Give it a listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment