16 March 2011

Johannes Brahms - Symphonies


Sorry that it's been a while since my last update but I've been quite ill and unable to properly write anything. Because I've been having such headaches and been so tired, the past few days I've really only listened to music that comforts me. And one of the most comforting things to listen to are Brahms' symphonies. Usually I like my symphonies loud, violent and slightly spastic and Brahms is pretty much the opposite of this, but sometimes that's exactly what I need. There's something soothing about the simplicity (for lack of a better word) and beauty of his symphonies. Here are my favourite movements:


Brahms - Symphony No.1: IV Adagio (part 1, here is part 2)


Brahms - Symphony No.3: III Poco Allegretto


Brahms - Symphony No.4: I Allegro non troppo (part 1, here's part 2)

Johannes Brahms (1833-1897) was a German composer. He was friends with lots of big names, like Joseph Joachim, Franz Lizst and Robert and Clara Schumann (with whom he may or may not have been involved, as wikipedia says: "The question of Brahms and Clara Schumann is perhaps the most mysterious in music history, alongside that of Beethoven's "Immortal Beloved." Whether they were actually lovers is unknown, but their destruction of their letters to each other may point to something beyond mere privacy". His most famous work might be the German Requiem (which is beautiful), but he also wrote four symphonies, two piano concertos, a violin concerto, a violin and cello concerto and a whole bunch of chamber music (including lots of songs and piano pieces). Unfortunately, I've really only heard his orchestral works (apart from the symphonies, you should also listen to his Violin Concerto and the piano concertos aren't half-bad either). If you enjoy the pieces I've posted (I really hope you will) you should really just listen to the rest of of the symphonies!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this discovery :D
    I knew a bit from him before your post, but I don't think I ever heard those symphonies.

    I especially enjoyed the bit you posted about Symphony No.3. I love the melody of it and how relaxing it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one's my favourite as well :).

    ReplyDelete